4.10.2008

Negative Nancy

So I am occasionally guilty of ranting on about something that really pissed me off. But why does everyone have to fill their blogs with not so good news? I guess I get the fact that its a great place to put it all out onto "paper", but what are the expectations of return for doing that? Condolences from other bloggers? A sense of relief, of getting it off your chest? Is blogging turning into an escape from the problems themselves instead of actually solving them?

Today for work (at the glorious McNeil Consumer Healthcare , a subsidiary of Johnson and Johnson) many magical things happened. I mean sure getting up at 5:30 was painful after being on duty BUT it was SO worth it! I went to Consumer Day, something where J&J consumer branches meet up in New Jersey and attend sessions on innovative market researchers within our category. A couple of them were about understanding "mom", how America shops, blogging (I know! and I was one of the few who knew what Twitter was!) , the archeology of the female purse (very interesting!) and were told to take notes on post-its. So I grabbed my retractable sharpie- cool office supplies a plus- and jotted away. Listening to the blogging presentation I really wondered about what bloggers do, who they are, what their place, purpose, rational happens to be. And then I learned about a woman who lost her husband this past December, and maintained her blog throughout the entire thing. He was only 50, and they have two kids (age 22 and 17). Now that is a tragedy. Is that person who took too long ordering at Starbucks who then made you late for work really worth ranting about? I think we are guilty of all taking the lower road instead of the high one. Why not help out the person ahead and suggest a drink to them? Instead of getting angry for no one else doing something, be proud of yourself for being that person who did. I guess I may be overly optimistic, beyond being realistic, or maybe I'm just lucky. But I don't know when my life is going to end, so I'm going to go right ahead and enjoy right now.

1 comment:

Miss D said...

you just have to read the right blogs silly!

quotablethoughts

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.
(Helen Keller)

I beg you...to have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. don't search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. and the point is, to live everything. live the questions now. perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.
(Rainer Maria Rilke)

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams...
(Eleanor Roosevelt)

Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.
(Mary Anne Radmacher)

Do one thing every day that scares you.
(Eleanor Roosevelt)

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
(Unknown)